Saturday, January 24, 2009

A QuickBook Study

One of the hardest things about running your own home business, in my opinion, is staying on top of the bookkeeping. Tired of my old system, which I'm sure hasn't been kind to more than a few trees, I embarked on a QuickBooks tutorial this morning, as part of my New Year's Resolution to get -- and stay -- organized.

I just shipped off my first invoice under my new paperless system, and, I have to say, it feels good. I'm not sure how much invoicing time QuickBooks will save me -- at this point, it's taking twice as long as usual while I input all my customer/vendor names and company information and I spent 10 minutes on each email personalizing the form letter -- but I'm hoping that come tax time 2010 I won't find myself rummaging through random pieces of papers to figure out if I have to mail out any 1099s, as I'm doing now.

That time that would be much better spent hanging out with my kids, sipping hot chocolate and watching SpongeBob, on this frigid Saturday.

No comments: