Thursday, January 15, 2009

Celeb Talk

Working on future celebrity interviews for WHY magazine. Whom would you like to read about? Chatting with celebrities is always fun, however much you poo-poo all that stuff. Some of my most memorable interviews over the years:
  • Dean Cain: So gosh-darn personable and nice and generous with his time.
  • James Gandolfini: His quiet, shy manner and accent-free voice was so startlingly different from the famous character he's played.
  • Michael Emerson: His voice is EXACTLY like his villainous character Ben Linus on Lost. As a Lost junkie, I have to admit I was a bit freaked out.
  • Larry the Cable Guy: Had me in stitches the entire phone interview and then sweetly called me back after it was done to make sure it was all right. GIT-R-DONE!
  • Adam Carolla: Also hysterical, but kept calling me "Gina."
  • Paul Reiser: Done at the Ritz-Carlton in Manhattan. I had to slap my "old reliable" tape recorder every few minutes to get it to work. I wanted to die.
  • Martha Stewart: One of the first -- if not the first -- celebrity interviews I've done. She was talking from her cell phone, which kept cutting out. (Hey, it was the mid 1990s.)
I also have Kevin Bacon on the brain. I recently interviewed him for a story I'm writing for Salute magazine, a magazine I edit as a freelancer. He was so unassuming, a mixture of Hollywood veteran/regular guy. His new film for HBO, Taking Chance, the story of a fallen Marine's final journey home, is very, very touching and offers a rarely seen glimpse into what happens to the bodies of our military men and women after they make the ultimate sacrifice for their country. The film airs on February 21, if you want to check it out.

No comments: