Friday, January 30, 2009

No Facebook Friday

I have declared today No Facebook Friday.

I have spent so much time reminiscing with old friends on Facebook over the past few weeks -- enjoying every minute of it and laughing like I haven't laughed in years --- that I am getting absolutely nothing done. My productivity is shot. Every time I go to complete a task, I get an email from a friend on Facebook who is commenting on my status or on another person's status that I'd commented on or has completed his/her 25 Random Things About Me, and there I go off on another round of silly bantering.

It's useless to try to limit Facebook to a certain time of day, as I've heard people suggest. Once you make a few comments, the after-comments come pouring in, and I feel compelled to say "Who's there?" to every "Knock knock" for the rest of the day.

So today is a little experiment. I thought it would be super easy. But no sooner did I declare No Facebook Friday on Twitter than Martin Neumann sent me notification through Facebook that he'd completed his 25 Random Things About Me. And then my kids got out of bed and clamored to see that cute baby video that somebody posted yesterday and that we watched at least six times.

"I can't," I asserted as strongly as possible. "It's No Facebook Friday!"

Now it's after 9 a.m. The kids are gone, and Martin's presumably asleep (he lives in Australia), and the Facebook emails are few and far between -- just some stragglers commenting on things from yesterday. Should be a cakewalk from here on, although I just completed some tax forms and suddenly am feeling the urge -- the urge to chat or read at least 3 random things about somebody.

But I'm staying strong.

For now.

No comments: