Friday, January 2, 2009

Cheer up, Johnny Rzeznik!

I saw The Goo Goo Dolls on New Year's Eve at the House of Blues in Atlantic City.

I've seen them five or six times before. Always a great night out.

Still, while the band sounded terrific, it didn't seem like lead singer John Resnik was on his game.

My husband would probably disagree (in fact, I know he would -- he always does), but I got the feeling that night -- as I've gotten many times -- that Rzeznik gets dragged down by his own success. He's sooo conflicted by it. Once the band left the garage, there was no turning back for them, and I think their early fans never let them forget it -- and that seems to weigh on him. He talks about it at all his concerts, but this time I really felt like going up there and giving him a hug.

He should take a cue from Jon Bon Jovi, who receives similar criticisms. I've heard Bon Jovi say that he's decided he doesn't give a damn what people say about him and his band and his music. He just does his thing. In fact, we can all learn that lesson. People say things all the time to try to deflate our enthusiasm and success. It's a fact of life. Just do your thing. Be happy. Be yourself.

Rzeznik ended the concert by saying that his New Year's resolution was to live in the now. "I think about the past and the future so often that I forget to enjoy the present," he said.

Total page out of the Oprah handbook -- but so true.

Cheer up, Johnny Rzeznik! There's nothing wrong with people wanting your song to be their wedding song or if your music appears on the soundtracks of mushy films and if people want to propose at your concerts (one did on New Year's Eve). Don't make us want to forget "Iris" to satisfy a bunch of knuckleheads who get off on writing letters to rock bands just to tell them that they suck.

Close the garage door for good, and enjoy the fresh air.

No comments: