Sunday, January 11, 2009

His Way

“I don’t usually hang with men who wear earrings.”

This was said by Frank Sinatra to Bono, according to an op-ed guest column written by the U2 frontman recently in The New York Times.

The column made me smile. Frank Sinatra holds a special place in my heart. He sang the background music of my childhood -- summers spent with my grandparents in Brooklyn -- and was beloved by my Pop, who seemed to have adopted the motto, "My Way." A quiet filled the room every time the song came on the radio. Sometimes a smile. Sometimes a tear. And as I read Bono's discussion of how Sinatra's rendition of "My Way" turned from a boast in 1969 to a defeat years later, it made me think of my grandfather who I believe echoed those sentiments. He passed away early last year.

I miss him, but remember him when I drive (he taught me how), when I write (he wrote a novel after World War II that was unpublished and forgotten by everyone, but me) and when I hear Frank, who now provides the soundtrack to my work-at-home life.

Thanks to @HomeOfficeVoice who turned me on to the piece. Made my day.

1 comment:

Sherylsherry said...

Hi Dina,

I can totally relate to your story about your grandfather and Frank Sinatra, only in my case it is my father.

My father grew up in the Big Band era and loved Frankie and all the rest of them.

He was in WWII and wrote a story called Eddie Thorn. About six months before he died I had his story printed and bound in a hardcover by Lulu.com. He was so thrilled to see his story in print after all those years, and it's one of the best things I ever did for him.

Sheryl Letzgus McGinnis
www.theaddictionmonster.com